Thursday, October 27, 2016

New Thing #87 - Iceland - Day 2 (Blue Lagoon)

October 27, 2016

Apparently the travel gods were smiling down on us this morning, because we made it to the Blue Lagoon with minutes to spare. That decision I made a few months ago, to push our start time a few hours later than our flight arrival time, was one of the best decisions I've made in a long time.

The line to drop off our luggage was a bit long, but the three guys working the desk were quick and efficient, tagging our bags and tucking them snugly into a collapsible rack system. From there, we headed inside to check in, where the lines were even longer and filled with weary travelers fully ready to get their soak on.
We made it!

So weird that it was after 9am and the sun was just starting to rise.




The entrance is tucked back behind these rocks.

Waiting our turn to get in.

BL knowledge bombs.



Check in itself was easy, since I had already booked our reservation well in advance. If you don't pre-register though, I wouldn't even bother trying to go. The time slots fill up fast, and based on how crowded it was when we went in the morning, they likely have limited extra spots to sell. And they're quite particular about arriving during your scheduled check-in time. Since we had pre-booked the package that came with a towel (I didn't want to have to pack one), we picked that up, along with our access bracelets.

These bracelets were pretty genius. Not only did they grant us access in and out of the facility and our lockers (so, no need to carry a clumsy key into the lagoon or remember a pin #), but they are also connected to our credit cards, so we can purchase drinks and accessories without leaving the water or carrying any money. They're plastic, with a little scannable chip inside.

The locker room, however, was not so genius. Dozens of women, from all around the world, all trying to change out of bulky winter clothes into swimsuits and squeeze their stuff into tiny lockers, while literally walking on top of one another. The room we were in clearly wasn't large enough for all of us to change, and with the influx of people all checking in at the same time, there wasn't much room to maneuver. I managed to get out of my hiking boots, leggings and layers of outerwear, and into my swimsuit, without punching anyone, so I consider that a win.

While the bracelet/locker combination was pretty cool, what they didn't explain well is that each set of lockers required you to lock yours from one central command center (not really that fancy, but I have no other way to explain that). What they also didn't explain is that the closest command center to your particular locker may or may not be the one that controls yours. So, locking and unlocking my locker took more than my weary travel-addled brain could handle that morning.

I eventually figured it out and headed over to the showers to wait my turn. Icelanders are very particular about entering hot springs. It's customary to shower before entering one (to help keep everything in the lagoon squeaky clean), and is a requirement at the BL. From everything I read, there was going to be one big room with a bunch of shower heads and lots of nekkid ladies showering all over the place. I didn't have a problem with that, but they must have upgraded since I read those blogs, because there were quite a few stalls with doors. (Yes, you have to shower sans swimsuit.) I washed as quickly as I could considering the water had only two temperatures: arctic or burn the hair off your ass.

The minerals in the water are great for your skin, but they can be murder on your hair, so they recommend washing your hair first and then leaving conditioner in the entire time you're in the lagoon. You also shouldn't really get your hair wet, if you can help it, unless you like the scarecrow look.

We were both finally ready, having scrubbed and conditioned as best we could and after wrestling my wet body back into my swimsuit. We headed down to the water, dropped off our flip flops and towels (mixed with about 400 other towels and pairs of shoes), and left the warmth behind.

You guys, Iceland is cold in the winter. Not sure if you knew that, but yeah. It's effing cold. And even more so when you're mostly wet, in your bare feet, and wearing a bikini. I'm not sure anything has felt as good as walking into the balmy waters of the Blue Lagoon seconds after the icy cold shock to our systems. It was pure heaven.

You can enter the water inside if you want, so it's not so much a shock to your system, but we never did this.

Here goes nothing!


And since we arrived in the morning, we were able to watch the sun rise, and it was incredible. The steam rising off the water, mixed with the rocky backdrop is like nothing I can describe. I realized my mistake in not bringing my phone out with me from the start, but I didn't know what to expect. So, I went back inside (quickly...it was even colder getting OUT of the water) and brought back my phone in a waterproof case. Of course, I had locker issues again, but based on the five girls standing around, I wasn't the only one.









It was still somewhat dark and foggy, but Angela and I meandered around, taking in all of the sights. There was a waterfall next to the entrance, a station for the masks, a refreshment hut, and numerous little nooks and alcoves. Everything was walkable, and the deepest I ever experienced was to my shoulders, so just under 5'. Most of the rest, especially around the edges, was much shallower, and I found myself squatting quite a bit, so I could keep as much of body submersed as possible.

We did experience a brief bit of hail, and damn it hurt. It went as quickly as it came, but that brief minute or two was filled with sharp icy shards pelting our face and heads, so I ducked under one of the bridges for a brief respite. Throughout the rest of the morning we would get light rain, snow and sunshine. Just goes to show why Iceland has the same joke as MO. If you don't like the weather, just stick around 5 minutes, because it will change.

Hail proof.
Taking a break from the hail.

After the hailstorm, we decided to try the first of our two face masks. The silica mud mask was free and everyone who came got to try it. It was a smooth, white mud, and without a mirror, was difficult to apply. Luckily, we helped each other out to get it thoroughly applied, and hung out for another 15 minutes or so before it was time to rinse it off. I can't say that I felt any immediate results from it, though my face did feel a bit smoother for the rest of the day. I don't think the effects were very lasting though.





Just a big tub o' mud.


Is this really how I look when I apply stuff to my face? Good grief.

Almost there!

We're so cute.


The steam rising off the water was the perfect backdrop.





Fresh faced from the mud mask!


Lifeguard!

Next was an algae mask, and that was part of our upgraded packaged that included the free towel, as well as one free drink. The mask was roughly the color of your grandma's old sofa cushions, and was a bit slimier than the mud mask. It required much less to be effective, but again, I can't say that I noticed any immediate results. All I know is that it was much tougher to wash off, and I felt like my face was a bit slimy for awhile.



Love this facial expression. Goes to show how slimy it was.


Algae face.

I was eventually getting tired of carrying my phone around. (While the case was waterproof and helped keep my phone dry during the rain/hail storms, I didn't really want to completely submerge it under water.) And my hand was getting cold from holding it above water. After another quick trip back to my locker (with a successful open this time!), we wandered over to the refreshment hut and picked out our free drink of choice. Ang chose an Icelandic beer, but I chose the strawberry skyr smoothie (skyr is a traditional Icelandic yogurt). It was a bit tart, but fruity and refreshing after the warmth of the lagoon.

A few hours after we arrived, we decided to go ahead and leave. While it was super relaxing and we were loving the experience, there's only so much sitting in hot water that you can really do. Besides, we had another hour bus ride to Reykjavik, and we needed to be there to check in before our hostel office closed. We said goodbye to the warm inviting waters, took yet ANOTHER shower and wrestled ourselves back into our winter clothes. Not an easy feat in a humid bathroom. But, at least there were fewer girls around, so we had quite a bit more room to maneuver. The BL has hair dryers which is pretty convenient for those who stow their luggage.




The water really is blue, but looks a bit milky white when it was super shallow.










Food prices were a bit extravagant, so we chose to wait until we got to Reykjavik before we ate. (Side note, ALL food in Reykjavik is expensive, but the BL was even more so. I'd recommend bringing your own food to eat afterwards, or wait until you get to Reykjavik or the airport before buying food.) We ditched our bracelets (you literally put them into the receptacle, and once they're in, the gate opens), grabbed our luggage and hopped on the next 12:45 bus that would take us to Reykjavik. For anyone reading this, we pre-purchased our bus rides that picked us up at the airport, dropped us off at the BL, and then took off from the BL all the way to our hostel in Reykjavik. The airport pickup was designated at a specific time, but you can hop on any bus you want throughout the day to take you into town.

The bus ride was uneventful and not too scenic. We took the opportunity to nap a bit, since relaxing in a giant natural hot tub is exhausting. Our bus dropped us off a few blocks from our hostel (or so they told us). I realize Europe uses the metric system, but telling me something is 100m down the street is about as effective as telling me something runs on 1.21 gigawatts. I have no idea how to relate that. So, we basically started trudging down the street in the blustery, rainy weather that had begun, searching through all the unfamiliar street signs. Eventually we found our hostel, about 2 blocks past when we had nearly given up.



We were staying at Reykjavik Hostel Village, and Thomas, the manager, was cheery and polite as we checked in. This hostel was unlike any I had stayed in before, as it was literally a village of buildings, rather than one structure housing all the rooms. So, we had another 5 minute walk to get to our actual building. Up to the second floor we went (no elevator) and into our little 2 person room.

Very unassuming building.
Two twin beds, a desk, a wardrobe and a mini fridge. All we really needed.

We did separate these two beds somewhat.

The tiny window that never truly closed.
Extra room for eating or reading, with a little balcony outside.





The single most popular room in the entire building.


Tiny shower.

By this point, I was starving, and a hungry Heather is not a happy Heather. Since my friends Julee and Brian had told me about a Chuck Norris themed restaurant, we knew exactly where we wanted to go for a late lunch/early dinner. It wasn't far from our hostel, and we enjoyed some beautiful architecture and culture while we walked. It was still pretty breezy and wet during our walk, but having waterproof gear was the second best decision I made for this trip. (If you don't have the appropriate apparel for Iceland, your trip will be ruined.)












Had to!


Yes, this restaurant is called the Chuck Norris Grill, and yes, there are CN jokes written all over the inside of it. We got the same thing: burger and fries, and it was pretty tasty, but I could have used a quarter of the chili mayo they put on it. A little too saucy and spicy for my taste. But the Viking White Ale beer was right up my alley!







More than a little concerned that this was on the wall in the bathroom. Ew.

Next, we chose to do some more sightseeing and hit up Hallgrímskirjka Church. It's one of the most recognizable landmarks in all of Reykjavik, and you can see why. The design of the church comes from the shapes that are formed when lava cools into basalt rocks, and you can see this church from just about everywhere in Reykjavik. And I heard the views from the top couldn't be beat.




Graffiti is everywhere in Reykjavik and is quite popular.


Random mugs in one of the billion gift shops.



Love it!




Leif Erikkson statue out front.



Gorgeous architecture.

I loved these doors too. Too bad it was too busy to get a photo with them shut.

The inside was just as stunning.

Famous pipe organ.

I took a lot of photos of signs because the language is so pretty, yet bonkers at the same time.

The statue of Leif Eriksson in front is an homage to the explorer who discovered America 500 years before Christopher Columbus. The statue itself was a gift from the US in 1930 to commemorate the 1000th anniversary of Iceland's first parliament.

The trip to the top cost a few bucks, but it was well worth it. The skies were clear and we had a perfect 360 degree view of the entire city. It was open air, so if you go to the top in the winter, be sure to bundle up! I'd say it was a pretty great way to end our first night on this beautiful island.


An elevator took us most of the way, but there were a few final stairs to take us to the open air tower.








If it hadn't been so cold and windy up here, I could have stayed up here for hours. Just look at all the pretty colors!

The inside of the clock face.

I really love this architecture.

You really can see it from just about anywhere.

After a blustery trip to the top, we decided to head back to the hostel for our third shower of the day, and to get some rest. It's been a long 24+ hours of travel and sightseeing. We managed to stay awake until 7pm, but not much after that. We should have tried for later, since we both woke up at 11 and couldn't get back to sleep until after 1:00am. Too much to see tomorrow to be tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment