Saturday, September 2, 2017

New Thing #88 - (Peru Day #4)

September 2, 2017

For the first time all week, we were able to sleep in and didn't need to be ready until 9:30. I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant before Sandi and I were picked up for our excursion and Brenda waited for her car to Cusco.

Pastries/jam, ham, cheese, eggs and black quinoa chicken.

Trying the coca tea. It's typically used to help out with altitude sickness. Though I hadn't had bad symptoms from it, I still wanted to try it. Not bad with a crap ton of sugar added.

Fun fact...uhhh...cocaine is made from coca tea leaves. But, don't worry, we just tried the totally harmless tea.
Psyching herself up to climb a mountain.

A few years ago, I saw a video of these pods built into the side of mountain that you climb up to and spend the night in, then zip line back down the next day. I saved that video, hoping that one day I'd be able to go. Well, today is that day. At least to do part of it. It was too expensive to spend the night, not to mention for only two of us (each pod will sleep like 8 people). So, instead of spending the night, they offer an option where you can climb up, eat a 4-course meal and then zip line back down. I was totally in. When we booked our trip, I absolutely had to add this in. I somehow convinced Sandi to go with me, though I really think she didn't fully grasp what we were going to do until we got there. B gave us a resounding hell no, so she took a car straight to Cusco for the day while we hiked up the side of a damn mountain.

We must have arrived really early, because the guys standing around didn't really know who we were and seemed confused. I had been mostly excited up until this point, but now I was starting to get nervous. If they didn't know who we are, this may not end well. Fortunately, our specific guides, Lucio and Guillermo showed up shortly thereafter to get us settled in. When we signed up, they had asked if we wanted to take the path or go "via ferrata", which meant absolutely nothing to me. Turns out it means "iron path" or basically climbing iron bar steps built into the mountain.

We figured the path method would be better for the views, though to be honest, I had no real idea. I just made a game time decision, mainly because the path was a bit cheaper. So, Lucio will take Sandi and I via the the path – which at times wasn't much of a damn path – and Guillermo the other 4 people in our party via ferrata (a Peruvian couple and two girls from LA that had hiked the Inca Trail – Stephanie and Anna).
You can see the sleeping bubbles in the top center.







This is going to be no joke.

Oh, we have no idea what's about to happen.


We signed our lives away (if I had $1 for every waiver I've signed over the years...), used the bathroom (no idea what that situation will be like up there), got our helmets and were harnessed in. Lucio taught us how to navigate the safety cables and our carabiners, and we waited for our turn to leave. The via feratta team left first because it would take them longer. (They actually ended up arriving first. We were total slow pokes.)




Safety is sexy!

Why yes that is a GoPro strapped to my chest. I had my very own boob camera.
Sandi and I were matchy matchy on opposite day with our outfits.



The three of us set off and I immediately began to worry about my sanity. Even this "path" was tougher than I had ever imagined it would be. Parts of it were so steep we were basically climbing vertically, there was an endless supply of slippery rocks and gravel, and the altitude made breathing mediocre at best. What in the sam hell was I thinking?

It was definitely harder than I thought it would be, but oh was it that much more rewarding. My GoPro recorded continuous footage, and also took photos every 10 seconds. Lucio was so great that he stopped us numerous times to take pics with our phones for us, so we could capture the day. Words can't really describe what we did, so I'll let the photos do the talking. Though, if you really want to watch a few hours of chest-high video footage, you're welcome to watch my GoPro videos!

Just getting started. Our view of the Urubamba River.

The best guide ever, Lucio!!

The via feratta gang.



Yeah, yeah, we're coming Lucio.

Naturally, because my GoPro was strapped to my chest, a majority of the photos are taken of my hands clasping the safety line. It made for some great photos throughout the day. It also made for some really boring photos.


When we came to a junction like this, we moved one carabiner to the new section first, then the second, making sure we were ALWAYS clipped in to at least one safety line.



You can't beat these views.



See, it's totally a path...

We did have a few places where we had to go via feratta, just because of the terrain made it impossible otherwise. 


These guys CARRIED OUR FOOD up with them the entire time! So, not only do they have all their gear and ziplining equipment, but they also carried our food for us. They're awesome.



Totally worth it, amiright?

My only complaint are these damn gloves. Why are they fingerless? I would have much preferred full gloves!! My poor fingies were raw by the end of the day.



My boobs taking a photo of me taking a photo. It's like photo inception.

Quick breather.

This lady totally conquered her fear of heights today. So proud of her.



I'm assuming there is a path around here somewhere.




Straight up we go!

Yeah, I don't think I signed up for this...






Lucio was very patient with us.





I started getting light headed and woozy, and realized I probably hadn't drank enough, nor eaten enough this morning. Sandi had some electrolyte chews that really perked me back up!!




Words can't express how tired and happy I am in this photo. And out of breath. SO OUT OF BREATH.



If my GoPro didn't capture my hands on the safety line, they captured Lucio's backside. Whoopsies.





This climb is no joke.



Sandi didn't stray far from the mountain.

I, on the other hand, had no problem leaning off the side of the mountain. I knew my safety harness was locked in.




Love this mountain shadow!



Probably about half way up or so.









He kept wanting us to show a thumbs up sign.

We have one zip line ahead of us for this trek up. I've ziplined before, but Sandi hasn't. He's giving us the instructions and cues.




Lucio is hooking me in. I went by myself, and he followed shortly thereafter in tandem with Sandi. There was another guide on the other side to unhook us.

FIRST ZIP LINE!!!

I could do this all day!


Loving the zip lines!

Waiting for Lucio and Sandi.



She made it!













Altitude makes you bloated. :(
My phone is inside my shirt, so I didn't drop it. I didn't think about how dumb that would look in photos...




Our awesome photographer and guide!


We made it to the bubble for lunch!!!

Now we just have to get down into the bubble....I much prefer zip line as a means for going down the mountain.




And I somehow got a raindrop or sweat on the lense, so now the rest of my photos have a blurry smudge smack dab in the middle. :(

Almost there!






Not a bad place to have lunch!


Our view for lunch.

Stupid water spot!

My first course: chicken, quinoa moraya soup. Tasty!!
Sandi's first course: some kind of soup....maybe leak?

Not only did our guides bring us up and carry everything, but they also cooked our meals for us.

Our new LA friends, Anna and Stephanie.


Second course: Tomato tartare with muña and hierba buena. I could have used a few more tortillas with it.
Sandi's second course: cucumber and mango, I think?

So happy we did this!

Started to sprinkle once we got inside.

Third course: crispy cuy (guinea pig), corn and potatoes. Yes, I said guinea pig. It's quite popular in Peru, and I knew I had to try it at least once. Most places upcharge for it since tourists think it's cool. So, I opted to get it on this trip because it was the same price. They literally brought me haunches of meat still on the bones.

Pretty much tasted like dark meat chicken, though the texture was really chewy. Not a fan. Not to mention that it's a whole lotta work for a little bit of meat.
Sandi got the fish, and I think potatoes...one of the 3800 different varieties.


4th Course: Fresh strawberry/berry cheesecake with a chocolate cookie crust. We both got this. SO. FREAKING. GOOD.

I'm sure she was wondering why the heck she did this once we got started, but I'll bet she's super happy she went.


One of the sleeping pods.

Can't beat our views.



Finishing touches on dessert.
Great bunch of guys! I highly recommend this adventure!

HJ....always, always eating...



There was another group coming up the mountain, so we didn't have time to dawdle. It was now time to hike back to the zip line platforms and make our way back down to the ground.









First of 6 zip lines of the afternoon!

I could zip line all day. It's so fun!

One of my favorite photos of the day. My GoPro captured Sandi and both of our guides as I was finishing my zip line.

Pure joy and adrenaline. So proud of her!


We love Natura Vive!




The videos capture my excitement!



Making my approach!



This one was the longest zip, and had to be done in tandem. No one weighed enough to go solo and get all the way across.



There was a bit of downward hiking in between each zip line pad.











Final zip of the day. :(


Base camp.

Still can't believe what we did today!


Lucio was the BEST!
So happy we did this, but also ready to relax. Every muscle in my body hurts! Once we came down off our adrenaline high, we both bought t-shirts to commemorate the day, then piled into a van to be dropped off. All of our guides lived close, but the remaining 6 of us tourists were taken back to Cusco, where we met up with Brenda in our hotel.

All of us piled into a van to get dropped off where we needed to go. Lucio was literally in the cargo area of the van. Guillermo was squeezed into the back seat with Sandi and I. Such a great day!

Views from the van.

Cusco!
No idea how to pronounce our hotel.

Walked a bit with Brenda when we returned and saw this beautiful church in the center of Cusco. We'll visit it again tomorrow.

Cusco at night.



Sandi and I were starving, so we went to a restaurant close to our hotel.

Why yes, this is an Irish restaurant. The Highest 100% Irish owned pub on the planet!


Chicken sandwich with a bacon and mushroom sauce. Yes please.
It didn't take much for Sandi and I to pass out tonight. Such a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment