Saturday, September 9, 2017

New Thing #88 - Peru (Days #10 and #11)

September 8, 2017

I wish I had a more exciting blog post for today, but I literally did nothing. Originally, this had been my day to finish laundry, pack and get ready for a really early morning flight. Since my flight was pushed back for two more days, I opted to just use this as a lazy day of reading, watching TV and snuggling with Lemon. Zero f*cks given on not getting out and exploring more while B was at work.

We did meet up with her friends again tonight for tacos, beer and subpar queso fresco, followed by strawberry and coconut gelato, so at least I wasn't a complete bum!

September 9, 2017

Since this was B's weekend, we slept in and took it easy in the morning. We planned on heading into the Barranco district, a more artsy neighborhood to have lunch and go shopping. I really wanted to try ceviche, though I'm not usually a big fan of raw fish. But Lima has some of the best in the world.

A fairly new restaurant had opened that B wanted to try and it was run by famous Peruvian chef, Gaston Acurio. Google him, he's pretty awesome. Turns out he was actually in that restaurant at that very moment. Given the number of restaurants he has around the world, that was damn cool. We might have been geeking out just a wee bit.

Waiter recommended drink. Something with pisco and passion fruit juice. Amazeballs.
Some fabulous empanadas to start with!



Ceviche! Okay, this was amazing. I opted to go with white fish instead of octopus (mostly for the texture) and it was so good. It's raw fish, marinated/cooked in citrus juices, aka tiger's milk (not made from actual tigers). Mixed in with it is red onions, sweet potatoes, corn, some peppers and those corn nut things again. I could have eaten a few more plates of this stuff.

Chaufa again. We ended up splitting it and still couldn't finish it! Also delicious!

Waiter also recommended this dessert. Again, not sure what it was, but it was essentially a chocolate mousse with toffee bits that tasted like a Heath bar. So good, but so full now.

I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but I took a pic of the name of it. Too bad you can barely read it.
We walked to a super artsy and spendy shop called Dedalo and spent about an hour looking around. I loved a lot of what they had, but it was all out of my price range. I was still saving up for the wood flair I had found earlier in the week. Afterwards, we walked around Barranco checking out more shops and exploring the culture.






This shop makes custom leather shoes. You can buy premade ones on the shelf or have them CUSTOM MADE using a variety of leather options. It smelled so good in here.

I kind of wish I had purchased a pair of these, but they obviously wouldn't be ready right away. I could have had B pick them up and ship them to me, but with my luck they wouldn't fit right, and I'd be out the money. Oh well, it was nice to look around here.




We Ubered back to her neighborhood so I could find the wood flair from the other day. I'm glad I pulled the trigger and brought it home, because it's one of my favorite souvenirs from the trip (in addition to the MP painting, of course). We finished up by walking along the coast, so I could try out some of the exercise equipment. HA!



By this point, I could tell I was travel weary. I was tired and ready to be home. Luckily, B also wanted to stay in, so we ordered some pizza, watched a movie and hit the hay. Fun fact: Peruvian Papa John's makes an "Americana" pizza with just ham on it. I asked for mushrooms on it, but they forgot. Actually, I think they threw them on the breadsticks we ordered.

Unfortunately, we got very little sleep tonight because of the party monster who lived below her. She warned me about this kid before I came, but I had no idea how bad he'd be. According to her, he was in his upper teens/early 20s, lived in his uncle's apartment and had parties that last upwards of 12 hours. Around 9pm, he started up and the bass thumped so hard, her apt literally shook and reverberated throughout. We could even hear the dance music through the walls.

And it didn't stop until about 9am the next morning. The only saving grace is that the party was mostly centralized in the living room and the two bedrooms are at the other end of the hallway. Thank God for ear plugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment